Application period: August 1, 2019 – October 31, 2019
Eligibility: Board members and regular members of the JSPS Alumni Clubs in Sweden (SAC), Finland (ACF), Denmark (ACD) and Norway (ACN).
The purpose of the activity seminars is to maintain and encourage contact between JSPS Alumni Club members; to strengthen the members’ relationships with Japan and Japanese researchers; to provide information about and to promote JSPS fellowships.
In light of this, it is preferable that the theme of the seminar contributes to the promotion of the scientific exchange between Japan and the country of the Alumni Club. It is also desirable that researchers from different educational background and/or research institutions are included as guest speakers.
– Application process is open from August 1, 2019 until October 31, 2019.
– Open to any research field at higher education institutions
– To be held for 1-2 days from June until February the following year
– To be held at a university or other public space
– Targeting about 50 participants
– With the possibility to invite one acquainted Japanese researcher from Japan or a country of the club
– Aiming at attracting and gathering young researchers
– To promote the activities of JSPS and its fellowships (e.g. distribution of JSPS leaflets, speeches by alumni etc.)
Only registered board members and regular members of SAC, ACF, ACD and ACN are eligible to apply.
SAC: Up to two activity seminars will be granted financial support.
ACF, ACD and ACN: One activity seminar will be granted financial support.
(1) Expenses Supported by the JSPS Stockholm Office
– Travel expenses and accommodation cost for one participating Japanese lecturer according to the JSPS Travel Expense Policy.
– Domestic travel expenses and accommodation costs for the other lecturers living in Sweden, Finland, Denmark or Norway according to the JSPS Travel Expense Policy.
Please note that depending on the number of lecturers, the JSPS Stockholm Office may not be able to cover all expenses.
– Cost for holding the reception.
*Note: The JSPS Stockholm Office has to complete accounting in March each year due to the closing of the Japanese fiscal year.
(2) Expenses expected to be supported by the host institution or other funding source
– Costs for holding the seminar (venue fees and technical support)
– Material printing
– Food and drinks other than the reception if necessary
– Honoraria for staff or students helping with seminar arrangements if necessary
(3) Daily allowance and honoraria for lecturers
The JSPS Stockholm office is not able to pay daily allowance or honoraria for lecturers.
Please consider other funding sources and kindly inform your invited speakers on this matter accordingly.
August 1, 2019 – October 31, 2019: Call for seminar applications.
November-December: The board of the corresponding Alumni Club will review the seminar applications and select the seminar to be granted support.
The JSPS Stockholm Office makes supporting allocations based on the budgetary conditions of each Alumni Club.
When a decision has been made, the successful candidate will be asked to submit the following documents:
Before the seminar:
– A seminar schedule
– A list of participants
– A schedule of the Japanese speaker’s visit
After the seminar:
– A report of approximately one A4 page, to be published in our English and Japanese newsletter. The English report will also be reviewed by the board in the corresponding Alumni Club.
The report(s) may be written by the organizer and/or the Japanese speaker.
To apply for activity seminar funding, please download the following documents and submit the application form:
Completed application forms and scanned supporting documents should be sent to:
The closing date for applications is October 31, 2019.
Applications received after this date will not be accepted.