This program allows researchers employed at designated Japanese research institutions to invite fellow researchers from other countries to Japan to participate in cooperative activities at their research institutions.



2 to 10 months



As a rule, researchers who hold a full-time position in an overseas research institution and satisfy the following requirements:

  • Be a citizen or a permanent resident of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan (JSPS treats Taiwanese and Palestinian researchers in this manner). To be eligible, researchers of Japanese nationality residing overseas must have lived in the other country for at least 10 years and been actively engaged in research in that country throughout the period.
  • Researcher in a position equivalent to a university professor, associate professor or assistant professor in Japan as of 1 April 2017.
  • Researchers who do not have above-mentioned careers but received their doctorate degree prior to six years or more as of 1 April 2017 and are continuing to do research in a university or non-profit research institution.

Terms of Award

  • A round trip air ticket (based on JSPS' regulations)
  • Overseas travel insurance
  • Monthly maintenance allowance of ¥387,600
  • Research support allowance which is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses (application is made by the host researcher)

Submission of application